Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What would you say?

Right in the middle of a lesson on the 1st day of school, little Ryan raises his hand. His question is SO important that it is taking all of his strength not to lunge out of his chair & scream it out at the top of his lungs... his teacher thinks, "Wow! This kid really must have something important to say; something that can't wait & all further understanding of the concepts being taught will be futile unless this question is allowed to burst free and enlighten us all!"
She proceeds:

Teacher: "Yes, Ryan."
Ryan: "Ummm, ummmm...my mom is divorced & I've wrestled a shark..."
Teacher: (pauses) "Well, Ryan, you must be very brave!"
Ryan: "Nope, it was way easy."

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Was the "shark" mom's divorce attorney? Sorry.... I couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Ali and Ross said...

Inappropriate, Cindy! This is your first warning!
Funny, he mentioned that his mom was divorced again today... he doesn't mention hi dad... I think little Ryan will have a lot more to say on the divorce topic... plus there are probably quite a few more "stories" involving sharks & other creatures... Guess where he moved from... Petaluma! Freak!

Chauntel said...

HAHA!
I do believe we should listen to the little Ryan's in this world, they are the ones that truly have to deal with divorce's and sharks. Obviously he had a very busy summer break! He may have a thing or two to teach you Teacher. Listen up! ;o)

Ali and Ross said...

I'm very used to reversing roles with my students... I definitely learn more from them than they do from me! I can't wait to learn some good wrestling moves this year! Ross should be scared! If I can take down a shark then it should be beyond "way easy" to take him down! hmmm... yes, yes... it's all coming together now!

Ali and Ross said...

UPDATE:
Little Ryan is definitely going to be one of my little challenges this year, but I understand his issues a little better now, & can hopefully help him learn some strategies to help himself! He's already been through the wringer for a 6 year old & needs help making sense of it all... poor guy! Wrestling a shark probably would have been easier than understanding the words & actions of the adults around him! He actually told me yesterday that his parents didn't even want him... I don't know how many 6 year olds you know, but they don't just say that unless someone said it to them first... Dad seems pretty with it & has primary custody now, so hopefully we can start making some movement in a positive direction... you need a license to fish but anyone can have a kid!