Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Taos, New Mexico

Alright, I'm cranking out another post today & hope you all can handle it! We still have our whole 2nd week in Colorado to cover which includes Rocky Mountain National Park, Garden of the Gods, Colorado College, and Pikes Peak! If I don't start doubling up I will be blogging about this trip until our next vacation!

We were welcomed in Taos by our friends Eric & Anpo Tate, along with their family, Nacoma (18), Madison (12) and Augusta (2 1/2). I hope you will forgive me if I misspell any one's name! Eric & Ross went to college together in Colorado & he is definitely Ross' brother from another mother. Their house is in Arroyo Hondo with amazing views of the mountains.





This is Eric. If he looks tall to you, your eyes do not deceive... He's about 6' 8". You can tell if you compare the top of his head with the cabinets and door frame in the background! He is a great cook & kept us well fed!

Madison and Anpo; beautiful, strong, funny women!

Augusta: (please ignore the boogie coming out of her nose- we took this picture at the end of the visit during bath time.) She is such a gorgeous, free spirit!
I was lucky enough to meet Eric, Anpo, Augusta & Nacoma at Tony & Laura's wedding in Flagstaff last October. It was so great to see them again & to meet Madison. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pics of Nacoma & his girlfriend, Allison but we were fortunate enough to get to spend some time with them too.

Any cat withdrawals we were experiencing quickly faded away! These kittens were the most loving, sweet things I've ever met... it's becoming increasingly difficult to deny that I am a crazy cat lady!!
Caramel, the puppy, sleeping in the coffee table...

Our first full day in Taos we went to breakfast with the whole family (sans Nacoma, who had to work). Of course, the camera was safe & sound back at the house, duh... where else should it have been?! We then walked through downtown Taos, stopping at shops and lounging in the city square (it has another name, but I completely forgot!) Ross gave Eric a break from "daddy duty" and chased after Augusta for a while. It was good to see him in training for his own someday, but she sure did tire him out quick!

The next day, Ross & I went on a little drive to see some of the sights that we missed seeing when we drove to town in the dark...

Taos Ski Mountain... they don't allow snowboarders here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The Rio Grande... Apparently we drove over it in the middle of the night, but it sure looks different in the daylight!
Um, so, see that little white thing... yeah, that's a car... well, WAS a car...fuh-ree-kee!!!

Happy! Happy!
You can see the storm clouds gathering... the mornings were beautiful & sunny & in the afternoon it dumped! If you know me, then you know how much I LOVED the thunderstorms!

Later that evening, Eric, Augusta, and Madison took us to a Powow in town. It was awesome to see the dance competitions & see all the beautiful jewelery & goods being sold... we were so thankful to our friends for sharing a bit of their life & culture with us! It meant so much to us! A few weeks earlier the whole family was in So. Dakota at Sundance, where Anpo & Madison danced, Eric helped support them... the morning we left Anpo gifted me the crown of sage that her mother had worn to Sundance years before, made into a dream catcher with an eagle feather attached... it means so much to me & I will keep it well & treasure it always!

*On a side note, I told Madison that if she wasn't good, I had a certain picture in my possession of a certain person, doing something that made her look... well, silly... unfortunately, for me, Madison has given me no good reason to share this photo with anyone... now, I am a person who takes great delight in torturing & embarrassing children... people have trained me & pay me for it even.... so, what the hell... sorry Madi!
You really should learn to read those salsa labels more carefully before consuming... I would have told you that water only spreads the spices around & offered to get you a glass of milk had there not been a sleeping cat on my belly & a camera in my hand...

But seriously, we send out all our love & gratitude to the Tate's for their hospitality! We love you guys!

Next stop on our road trip extravaganza... Ross & I get a Rocky Mountain High (ok, maybe just Ross...) I hope we are not boring you all to death yet! Let us know you're out there! we'd love to hear from you all!

3 comments:

Bud and Cindy said...

Wow! I must meet the Tate's. (I'm sure I will eventually). Thanks for sharing your wonderful visit. - Ma/Matou

Anonymous said...

i am just jealous of all the amazing scenery & socializing! You have some great friends!

Ali and Ross said...

We certainly do! We had such a great trip! Maybe a road trip to SB isn't too far in the future!