Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Happy Smiling Birthday Cake Faces


I had a very nice birthday celebration yesterday! Ross woke me up at 5:49 a.m. (the time that I was born) to wish me a happy birthday before he left for work (my mom would have, but I think she was a little scared to, remembering how pissed off I was to be woken up 32 years ago)! We all went out to dinner at La Dip Fondue... a bit disappointing, but at least it gave us something to laugh about. First of all, they ran out of oil... how do you run OUT of oil at a fondue restaurant??? I actually offered to run home or to the grocery store & get some if they would like. They had a large drink selection so my mom & I ordered drinks with vodka in them (the guys ordered beers). The waiter then informs us that they don't actually have a hard liquor license, and they would have to substitute "orange wine" for the vodka??? WHAT!!?!? Who has ever heard of an Orange Wine Tonic?? We finally order wine (Viogner) and our waiter, who proclaimed himself "very proficient at the wine list" asks us to clarify whether we meant Viognier, "the type of wine" or Viognier, "the Italian word for wine"... WHAT?!?!? When we finally order food, we are again informed of a freak food shortage striking this one & only establishment... PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS! Again, my mind turns to the grocery store a few yards away, imagining all the portabellas layed out as far as the eye can see... to top it off, the waiter talked so softly that we could barely hear what he was saying... Ross made the statement that if we were lucky we might get to see his balls drop that very night... alas... I'm afraid that did not happen...
Thank you to Ross, Dad-E-O, Mamacita, (Mama & Papa G, in spirit)... and La Dip Waiter... for making my birthday so special! I love you guys (well, maybe not the waiter)!

1 comment:

Bud and Cindy said...

We had a great time despite the inexperienced waiter and the lack of fondue fixin's... the "Forlorn Fondue Fixin's of Folsom". The company was great and the Viognier was much better than an orange wine martini! (and you thought I drank ANYTHING....)

The 32 years have flown by for us old folks, but it has been more arduous for you, Ali.

And a BIG thank you to Ross for letting us watch an hour of "America's Got Talent" - I know it was painful, but miraculously in retirement, it is pretty entertaining. Last year we were disgusted by it, but this year we are more open to mindless television shows.

Here's to a long, happy, healthy life for all. It was a great day in our lives when our baby girl was born.
Love, Maugh and Paugh too